Thursday, May 19, 2016

A Dark Night of the Soul

I haven't written a blog post in over 6 months, as I have been focused on other projects. In the last two months, I have been totally focused, like a laser, on cleaning & reorganizing my house, which I had allowed to fall into a state of general collapse over the last 6 years. It had become, as I joked about, "more a warehouse than a home", when I was in the midst of my 'acquisition addiction'. About two months ago, I finally 'reached my limit' of 'stuff' -- too many books, too many music CDs, too many little things that were drowning me and cutting off my ability to thrive.

Now, though, I have, in jettisoning that addiction to 'more and more stuff' (which I had used, I realize, as a means of 'building a wall of psychic defense around myself') entered into what my therapist defines as the dark night of the soul, based upon a book by St. John of the Cross. When we are in the midst of transformation, we feel 'lost' and out-of-control, and there is no way to know, objectively, where we are headed next. The transformation has a path of its own. And in the midst of that transformation, there is a sense of disorientation -- and often depression and frustration. That's where I am right now. I know that the direction I was taking has not 'worked' for me, but I don't know [can't know] what direction to head in presently.

As a good friend used to tell me, I have to "allow the Universe to have an opinion". Personal 'control' of our destiny is, in any case, largely an illusion. We can plan, and sometimes our plans work the way we intended (and, indeed, having some kind of plan makes us feel safer and more emotionally stable), but other times "stuff happens" which is completely and utterly beyond our 'control', such as economic calamities, hurricanes, getting hit by drunk drivers on the highway, illnesses, falls, and a whole host of events that we never would have [nor could have] predicted. Or sometimes very positive events occur, which equally were not in our planning package, and we benefit from those circumstances. One simply 'never knows' beforehand. As Ram Dass and other writers talk about, the only 'thing' we know about is RIGHT NOW, the present, Be Here Now, etc. The past is, at best, an interpretation and the future is not knowable. As Letty Cottin Pogrebin says in her book Getting Over Getting Older "Human beings have a great capacity for self-delusion in the face of the truth. The attempt to banish the past from the present is, to coin a phrase, a waste of time, since today becomes yesterday tomorrow. Each day moves into the past as soon as we've lived it. The future is only a prayer."

I have tried, in my stuttering manner, throughout my life, to 'find the Answer' to a question that I didn't quite know I was asking, that of "how to find fulfillment" in this plane of existence. I have tried to 'fill' my life with activities and 'things' -- electoral politics, community organizing, serving on community boards of directors, anti-racism advocacy, books, college degrees, artwork, music and a host of other endeavors -- in the vain hope that that 'filling' would lead to 'fulfillment'. But they are two different things altogether. The accumulation of stuff and of activities does not, necessarily, lead to spiritual and emotional satisfaction. It does, sometimes, satisfy me temporarily, but it doesn't give me The Answer that I keep searching for and only rarely, fleetingly, find.

My therapist pointed out this past week that the 'thing' I keep searching for but rarely find is LOVE. I have gotten enough of it from others, at various points in my life, but what I'm profoundly incompetent at is giving it to myself. Achieving self-love -- as in centered-in-self as opposed to self-centered -- is something that was not modeled for me as a child and for which I have spent a lifetime searching without much success. Alice Miller, in her book The Drama of the Gifted Child discusses how we need a certain kind of emotional support at a specific developmental period in our childhood and when we don't get that support, we spend the rest of our lives searching for it, or trying to replicate it, without much success. The problem, she notes, it that we needed it when we needed it, at that specific developmental period, and that lacking will 'set us up' for needless suffering later in life.

I've realized that, as I work through this latest transformation [I've been here before and will be here again in the future], a bit of Gratitude Exercise is in order. Hence, I was thinking several days ago that there were 7 major life surprises that I could not have known about beforehand, and which continue to either bedevil me or have brought me unexpected joy.

Panic Attacks

Due to the profound nature of the traumatic sexual and physical abuse I experienced as a child -- wherein I literally didn't know from one moment to the next if I was going to be tortured by my parents for what was mainly an outcome of their own psychotic problems -- I began experiencing very serious, often prolonged and deeply debilitating panic attacks in my early teens. As I've gotten older and have been in mental health therapy for many years, the intensity and periodicity of those panic attacks has been minimized, but to my surprise (and frustration) they haven't gone away completely. If anything, my sensitivity to the world around me has increased in recent years rather than subsided.

As my therapist pointed out, though, this is hardly surprising. Given the profound nature of the abuse, the world around me simply 'became toxic' to me. I was 'trained' by the trauma to fear, to live in the midst of profound and often debilitating fear and terror. And terror is the sensation I feel the most when in the midst of having panic attacks (which occur at a low-level about once a week, and occur at a significant, life destroying level every couple of years or so). When people say to me "Oh, you might be experiencing anxiety or discomfort, but don't you think calling it 'terror' is a bit grandiose?", that may be their hope, but the facts are that the panic I'm often feeling IS 'terror', predicated by the terror that was visited upon me continuously for the 18 years of my dependency with my parents, and replicated often in the poor relationship outcomes I had as an adult.

I still have great fears about food I eat, or the glue in the shoes I wear, or allergic reactions to the material of the clothing I wear, and I still have, periodically, an agoraphobic reaction to leaving my house. I get some of the oddest [and culturally unusual] reactions from those things, and though I know, to some degree, what to expect and therefore what to avoid (or how to mitigate the negative outcomes I've experienced in the past), at other times the 'terror' is generated out of the blue, in totally unexpected circumstances. It's simply frightening, and no amount of mental health therapy has allowed me to get beyond it. As my former therapist in Albuquerque, Shoshona Blankman (who died of cancer last year) used to say, the fight-or-flight reaction to trauma over time depletes the adrenal glans, by not having a method of 'turning off' the traumatic reaction. And the depletion of those adrenals has resultant negative effects on organs throughout the body.

Aging

Frankly, quite seriously, I'm rather amazed to be 64 years-of-age, and being old enough, of having 'lasted long enough', to 'grow old' in an actuarial sense [of being old enough to qualify for social security and Medicare]. I was so completely depressed and frightened as a young man that I ended up being suicidal and acting out those suicidal feelings with profound substance abuse. Thankfully, at the age of 32, I finally ceased that body-destroying behavior and started to take better care of myself. And somehow recovered, emotionally and physically. So here I am, 'getting older', and being alive and in relatively good physical shape at 64. That I'm thankful is to put it mildly. My suicidal feelings have, in the main, disappeared (or have been, at least, profoundly sublimated) and I'm relatively happy, even if my emotional health is not 'what I'd like it to be'.

Becoming A Leader in My Religious Congregation

For the first 21 years of my being involved in the Unitarian Universalist faith, I was 'not allowed' to be a leader within my congregations, both in Albuquerque and in St. Louis. About 2008, due to a change in the politics of the St. Louis congregation, I was finally 'allowed' to become a leader and to take an active role in the growth of the congregation. That was a major and extraordinary change in my life, and has given me a sense of emotional stability that was not available to me theretofore.

If anything, I'm now 'over-involved', as the generation in front of me burns-out, retires or dies, and the younger members have yet to 'step up' to assume leadership roles. But I'm also engaged in fostering a Men's Wellness Ministry at my church, as well as being involved, within the context of the congregation, in anti-racism advocacy work. All of that is a change that was quite unexpected for a very long time!

Accumulation of Many Years of Collegiate Education

I had assumed, from all the propaganda that the university systems produce in America, that once I had earned a college degree and then two graduate degrees and a graduate certificate, that I would be 'the most marketable guy' possible. It didn't turn out that way. I earned my initial college degree and first graduate degree [in Public Administration] in New Mexico, which has a historically horrible employment market. I was able to gain some employment in the government, but following a change in administrations, getting decent employment became increasingly difficult.

Upon moving to St. Louis and finishing an MSW, followed by earning a graduate certificate in Nonprofit Management, I thought "now I'll be able to get really great employment". It was not to be: I hit the "you're a man and most agencies are managed by females who largely only hire other females" wall, I was hit with age discrimination (I was 50 by the time I finished the MSW), and I was hit with the 'overqualified' quandary (a lie if there ever was one). Plus, the American economy turned quite sour.

It turned out that the more education I accumulated, the fewer jobs were available to me, and finally, after earning the Nonprofit certificate, I was essentially 'made redundant'. I had a chance to use my skills on community boards, but was not able to gain employment, even after sending out 2000+ resumes and having 300+ interviews. Very discouraging, to put it mildly. I've been able to survive from invested income, but survival is the issue. My wonderful hopes of 'economic advancement from having a college education' simply never came to pass. At no point in my employment history did I ever earn more than $25,000 in any taxable year, in spite of having multiple graduate degrees.

In fact, after 2002, the only employment I could secure was as a part-time usher at the St. Louis Symphony, making around $3500 a year. It was insulting in the extreme, and very depressing. So much for the value of a college education and the accumulation of multiple skills throughout life!

Male Body, Feminine Spirit, Transgender Soul

Due, in large measure, to the profound nature of the sexual abuse I was subjected to as a child, my sense of and comfort with my gender-of-origin was obliterated early in life. I am fairly certain, from a combination of a knowledge of child development, mental health therapy, and dream work, that I was first raped by my father at the age of 9 months, in July 1952. And molested several times thereafter by both my parents. Added to that was the profound and continuous nature of the physical torture visited upon me by my father (upon the encouragement and often the instigation of my mother, however much either of them were in denial of those facts). Plus, my father, on multiple occasions throughout my childhood, said "when you were born, we had hoped to have a daughter". Not a great way to have your maleness supported!

The result was that I developed a fear of my maleness, and viewed 'maleness' as being related to being violent and crazed (following the modeling of my father). As I matured, I turned to 'any gender view of myself other than maleness' as a safe harbor. While it's true that if I had been female, I would nonetheless have been tortured (due to the insanity and poor child-rearing skills of my parents), I was, in fact, a male child, and therefore, in our family, being a boy was not a safe role to manifest. 

And as I moved into adulthood, my gender confusion only increased, and was further pronounced. The females I dated often demanded a 'kind of manhood' that was suffocating, and which I was unable to manifest with any degree of comfort. Thankfully, in my mid-30s, I found the men's wellness movement. It gave me access to a 'kind of manhood' with which I could be somewhat comfortable.

What has come out of it for me is that I have always felt more comfortable with the world that many of my female friends inhabit (the cultural context that is allowed females in this society) and, further, that many of the 'standard male cultural expectations' are deeply troubling to me. I therefore, for most of my life, have manifested a kind of 'gender fluidity' (or transgender sensibility) that only becomes available to people who were not allowed comfort with standard gender outcomes. Hence, while I have become skilled in working on aspects of men's emotional wellness, it is only with personal acceptance and the knowledge that I have a strong feminine spirit that I have been able to grow and develop a stable 'sense of self' that has brought emotional comfort to my life.

A Stable and Deeply Loving Intimacy

As noted above, many (though, thank God, not all) of my adult female relations, over 40 years of dating, demanded a kind of 'maleness' that I found deeply troubling. It was only with women who allowed for 'gender fluidity' and who valued me as a human being because of that flexibility that I felt any kind of emotional comfort. But that was rare: as one could reasonably expect, given the nature of human society, most females were looking for someone who wanted a family and was willing to support them economically -- or at least provide the greater portion of familial income. I was wholly unable to do that, due to one wall after another forming in my pathway, largely due to the depression I felt for most of my life.

I ended up, from my mid-20s through my mid-50s, being in grievous fear of living and dying all alone. I did have a number of 'relationships' [essentially serial monogamy], but none of them resulted in 'a long term intimacy' until I was 56. Most of my partners wanted to be deeply cared about, but didn't feel a reciprocal need or desire to care deeply about me. That was emotionally and spiritually painful in the extreme. And when I would propose the idea of a long term intimacy [longer than the 6 months that most of my dating relationships lasted], the response was, essentially, "That's an incredibly humorous joke, Donald -- you are one hilarious guy!"

Then, at the age of 56, I met Linda, my present intimate partner. She actually wanted a long term intimacy and was willing to be emotionally and sexually reciprocal in her behavior: that was a surprise and a welcome outcome! As we now joke about, in looking back over the 8 years of your intimacy, it took me 2 years to accept that she was serious about a long term intimacy, another 2 years of just being damned appreciative that someone wanted that with me, before I was willing, at any level, to accept that she actually loved me. And to feel resonant love in return. I still struggle with being able to give myself love, instead of waiting for Linda to give it to me, but I'm growing and healing. And she has been a delightfully powerful partner with whom to heal (as I have been for her). She is my lover and friend, and now I know that I don't have to 'live and die all alone' anymore. 

The Love of A Member of My Family-of-Origin

Since 1997, when my middle brother Tony reached out to me emotionally and decided he wanted me as a friend (within a family where my two older brothers were always the 'team' and I, as the youngest, was the outcast, but which changed when my brothers had a severe falling out after Tony's second divorce), I have been able to create a mutually loving and emotionally stable friendship with my brother, that simply was unavailable before then. And which has allowed me to construct a loving warmth with a member of my family-of-origin which was not available with any other member throughout my life. That is a positive change which was simply, profoundly unexpected! Further, he has assisted me in the supplementation of my income, which as allowed me to survive financially even though I have no retirement savings. That's a profound blessing all around!!

In Summary

Hence, life has, as with anyone, provided some good outcomes and some negative ones. Some outcomes, like the panic attacks, long term redundancy, negative economic possibilities of my college education, and the lifelong gender discomfort, have 'bedeviled' me throughout my life and adulthood. Others, like the unexpected loving friendship with my intimate partner and my brother, and having enough financial security to not have to worry about shear survival, have been unexpected positive outcomes to my life: both occurred late in life, after profound struggle and sadness, but they did occur and I know that they have benefitted me greatly. And just 'being here' at 64, which is the most amazing aspect of my life of all (and the most unexpected, given the traumatic torture and rape of childhood, and my suicidal behavior, of many years, as I worked through -- and healed from -- that trauma).

Hence, even as I struggle with this latest dark night of the soul, I know there are generally positive possibilities on the horizon. I continue to grow and heal emotionally, survive economically, and prosper intimately. That gives me great hope for the future of my personal life outcomes. That the struggles will continue is guaranteed -- that's the nature of life. But I'm here and willing to face them!

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear from you, Donald, and to learn what is going on in your life. Keep writing! Your voice helps others.

    ReplyDelete